Painting Terms

Your painter is talking to you and using “Painting Terms”. You are trying to grasp what he is saying but it’s just not working. No worries! Here are a list of some terms to help you understand the painter’s lingo.

Anti-corrosive paint: A paint designed to minimize rust or corrosion when applied directly to metal.

Bleeding: The migration of material from substrate, causing discoloration of the paint.

Blistering: The formation of dome-shaped projections of paint.

Burnishing: The formation of shiny areas on a painted surface, as a result of rubbing or washing.

Diluent: A liquid that is blended into a coating, and can be used to reduce its viscosity. A diluent is not necessarily a solvents for the binder.

Dry tack-free: Drying stage of a paint film at which it is not sticky to the touch.

Elasticity: The ability of paint or caulk to expand and contract with the substrate without suffering damage or changes in its appearance.

Intercoat: A layer of paint that is “sandwiched” between two others. Also refers to something occurring between coats, as in “intercoat adhesion”.

Mildew resistance: The ability of a paint or caulk to resist mildew growth on its surface.

Oxidation: A chemical reaction with oxygen. For example, the drying of oils in oil-based paint, or the rusting of iron or steel

Viscosity: The fluid thickness of a coating.

Volatile: The easily evaporated components of any coating or caulk composition.

Terms credited to APC Magazine, The ABCs of Painting, Part 2 Article by Debbie Zimmer